On May 23, 2019, we learned that Chicago Public Media planned to cancel Worldview in favor of syndicated BBC World Service and a new, two-hour talk show. Since then:
- About 2,778 people, including about 1,283 people who identified as members of WBEZ, signed a letter asking that Worldview be saved.
- 115 organizations endorsed the campaign to save Worldview. This impressive cross-section represents students, new Americans, environmentalists, academics, journalists, refugees, human rights campaigners, philanthropists, and more.
- 140 wrote to us with testimonials of Worldview’s value, many of which are published here. Writers range from individuals with international reputations to decades-long WBEZ members to young environmentalists.
- Worldview supporters filled the room and spilled into the hallway during a Chicago Public Media “Sounding Board” meeting.
- Worldview supports filled the room and used an overflow space during a Chicago Public Media Board of Directors meeting, during which this letter was presented.
- Many have taken actions independent of this website, including emails, calls, meetings, and other petitions, including a Change.org petition signed by 3,100 people.